Subscribe

* indicates required

October 21, 2010

Ain’t No Sunshine …

A storm is approaching inside of me … this year, next one, or maybe in the following years. But its silent wind whispers near my soul that is going to be here and it’s going to be the biggest of all. And it’s ironic, because this one is my creation, has in itself all my weapons and feelings, all my walls, warmth and coldness, all my parts from my ego and all my wishes and it’s going to knock on my door and window: “You were my creator; you called me!”


We raise children to make them happy. We should become parents when we realize that a child isn’t our property, but a different human being, that giving life to a child does not only mean to carry him in your womb, but (and I would say especially) what you offer him afterwards. As parents we shape a life, a destiny. We mould without knowing his psyche and personality, we make him a happy being or a sad one, a ‘good’ person or a ‘bad’ one. “Everything begins in childhood”, the psychologists say. How many of us really understand these words? Adler and Simone de Beauvoir talk of patterns, of how the child imitates his parents’ behavior, how the circle of “good education” or “bad education” spins around for generations. They also talk of the fewest cases that realize their “bad education”, their unseen inner battles and how these persons become best educators, but cold human beings …


 Being a parent means sacrifices. And a real sacrifice made for love will never wear the word “sacrifice”, a person who makes such a sacrifice would never say to the other one “I made a sacrifice for you”. Because we make them in the name of love, for pleasure, for the better, for the safety of the person near us, be it a child, a friend, a lover or a relative. And no matter what we give, we feel a kind of joy inside ourselves. Can we understand and see the world through our children's eyes? Can we see for a moment the world through the eyes of dearest persons?


We should understand that our dreams are not the dreams of the child, we should learn to look at him and accept him as he really is, we should see what he likes and encourage him in his road, accept his silence in teenage years, we should show him his mistakes not by screaming at him “you’re wrong”, but by various questions and examples, we should let him make mistakes so that he can learn from them, and top of all, we should be here for him. In good and bad. Forever.


Sometimes I wish I wouldn’t know and feel so many things. Sometimes I wish I would not feel so old inside … Sometimes I wish that someone would see me and strongly hug me. How old am I? But there is nothing more powerful and everlasting than the sincere love of a parent towards his child. It’s a love different from the others, which maybe makes you a better person, a love so huge and at the same time so fragile that words are not enough to describe it. No matter if he’s your flesh and blood, or he’s only part of your soul. And there are so many, but so MANY mistakes that people do with their own children, so many “instincts” that they think they possess when actually their instincts have their roots in their own childhood, personality and education, so MUCH selfishness when you actually have in your hands the LIFE of another human being.


When we are in love, we feel happy everywhere, as long as we are near the loving one. But Time changes everything, washes away all the ephemeral things, Reality cuts from its roots romanticism and with the help of Time, puts a mirror in front of us. We move. From cities to towns, from towns to villagers; we give up our dearest cities because ... "home is where the heart is". But, how many of these couples think of their children? How many think of their education, of institutions, how many think that if they go on an island, away from civilisation, after a couple of years they would want for their child the best. And because of this they would have to choose: keep him near them, for an ordinary life, or teach him to search for the best, to educate himself and to see everything that can be seen and feel in a lifetime ... What would you feel when it's time to say good-bye?


 You see, these words are part of me, of my FEELINGS. Are they few, are they many? Call them thoughts, but this time, these thoughts have their roots in feelings. And yes, people for me are one and the same, people leave, people betray and they are all gray. I invest my love and time in people that are able to make a difference. Because I simply believe in the warmth and goodness of the soul. And yes, when this latter persons disappoint me or forget me, I feel pain and I close the door a little more in front of Humanity … And now, I feel that I’m on the verge of my last step: opening my hands and let her fly. I know I would do that. I know she would do that. Because I taught her to do so. But I also know that in that day every inch of my soul will burn.      

1 comment:

  1. This is really inspirational.Nice work.

    ReplyDelete

Joy/Vertigo

No matter what the future holds, there is the moment of today of pure  joy, which reminded me of the first novel I read long time ago by Pau...